Monday, January 17, 2011

Carnivore to the Heart

Have you ever tried going without meat, soda, and those oh so yummy treats.  Trust me it is harder than you think it is.  I am a true carnivore at heart, and most beans, peas and other not cute vegetables I don't eat.  I rarely indulge in anything green unless its a salad, so please take my word when I say that giving up meat for a 21 days was in itself a challenge.  But the rewards were so great.

Initially I had all the symptoms of withdrawl.  I was cranky as all hell.  However, my crankiness may have also been associated with the fact that I have been ready to depart Afghanistan for about 60 days now.  Anyway, I had the foul breath, and the oh so not fun headaches that go along with giving up my beloved meat.  I also dealt with tiredness from shocking my body with the absence of the diet it was once use too.  But once those four days passed, I was able to run the best 6, 7, and 8 miles of my life.  I have had more energy than I ever did with meat in my diet.  I can stay up and talk to my boo in Korea instead of the all to familiar nap time at lunch.  I actually sleep soundly at night.  Which is weird, because I haven't been able to sleep in like years.  Now, don't get me wrong, I still love meat, but not as much.  Everytime I walk into the DFAC and smell chicken, my mouth starts watering.  But I quickly bypass the chicken for salad with tuna.  Did I mention seafood stirfry is the best.  I still do eat a lot of starches, like potatoes and macaroni and cheese, but I eat more salads than any other normal person.  When there is some type of gravy ladened beef, I quickly sidestep that for a green salad.  No I don't eat peas, and my egg allergies won't allow me to even attempt eating an omlette or quiche, but there are definitely health food benefits to a no meat, veggie and seafood diet.  Plus, you get to experiment with different things.  The food is free here in Afghanistan so of course experimentation is not frowned upon like if I was actually buying it.  But I love broccoli and asparagus.  I KNOW!!!!  When Mongolian Night comes around, I have no problem filling my plate with cabbage, onions, carrots, bell peppers and crab.  It is so yummy, especially with crushed red paper. 

I can't wait until I get to go home.  I am so ready to go.  I miss all you folks in America.  Afghanistan is not the same.  Especially since I have spent the majority of this deployment in solitude.

Love ya...DEUCES!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment